Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Freakin' 'RADO, baby, yeah!



SO. 

I'd never been rock climbing in Colorado before. In fact, I never really go to Colorado-- despite the fact that I have a number of really good friends there- through climbing, college... even from back in the Montana days. 

So when I decided to spend the summer in Europe, and realized I had an extra 10 days free before my transatlantic departure, I started casting lines to see if I could generate a climbing trip for that time chunk.

Chris Goplerud quickly responded to a Facebook post and invited me to come to Colorado- he'd pick me up in Grand Junction (and spare me the risk of driving my ailing car), take me climbing, put me up in his house, loan me climbing and camping gear- and the whole shebang. 

Yes, Chris- thank you. I'll come directly to Colorado.

We attempted to climb at Independence Pass- and enjoyed a few hours of fun bouldering (at the James Brown area), as well as a night session at the Redstone Boulders- but daily rain disallowed any kind of serious Independence Pass climbing, and definitely prohibited any Black Canyon routes. 

So. I went to Rifle Mountain Park for my first time- it was freakin' awesome. Polished and techy? Yes. Fo' sho. But in a way, it was perfect climbing for me post non-climbing-month. Though the climbing is sometimes physical, it's mostly physical in a full-body, twisty-tricky way- and not in a brute force, finger-strength-intensive sort of rejected-if-you've-had-a-month-off sort of way. 

I didn't send (or even attempt) anything heroic, but definitely enjoyed the week.  It rained every day. Sometimes hard. But Chris Kalous lent me his '82 Toyota Dolphin, Del Fuego. This miracle vehicle kept me dry in the worst of weather. 
 
Met some great people, ran into friends from all over, and even got to check out the Bouldering World Cup at the Teva Mountain Games in Vail- where we got to stay with my friend, Alana. 

Anyway. This from the Chicago Airport. I'm off to freakin' Europe (baby!) next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment